We can trace the Maybrey Reliance company history back to 1839 when George England founded the Hatcham Iron Works and started his company George England and Company. The first products produced were screwjacks and weaving machines but soon George England started to produce railway locomotives.
One of his early locomotives ‘Little England’, won a Gold Medal for Excellence at The Great Exhibition of 1851.
George was joined by the renowned locomotive engineer Francis Fairlie in the 1860s. At the turn of the century the company became the General Engineering & Boiler Company.
In 1935, Reliance Foundry was formed and ran alongside the General Engine and Boiler Company at the Hatcham Iron Works in New Cross, South London.
All manufacturing was taken over by Reliance Foundry at its new factory in Greenwich in 1975. In 1986, Mr Douglas Hills was invited to purchase the Reliance Foundry with the intention of merging it with his company, the Hills Diecasting Company of Sydenham, South East London.
In 2002, Maybrey Precision Castings of Lower Sydenham was purchased and Maybrey Reliance was formed.